Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lake at Dawn

The faint, light mist flows up off the water.
Slowly revealing that the water is warmer than the air
I watch the sun slowly rise in the east. Minute by minute.

As the sun crests over the distant mountains, the mist grows thicker
Prompting the first cast onto the glassy surface in front of me.

Strike - a trout - snaps the early daylight snack and runs with it.
Far.
My reel spins out more and more line as I pull and follow it slowly across the mist covered glassy lake. From my kayak.

The mist dissipates slowly as the morning breaks , leaving a colorful rose, coral hue on the lake, indicative that day is here, the mist gone, revealing the vulnerabilities of early morning fishing. The best time of day.

Quiet. Peaceful. Serene. Misty. Vibrant. Real.

No comments: