Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Santa Must Have Gotten Snagged in the Chimney

I have a dismal report on the typical restocking of my tackle box this year. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I didn't receive one fishing lure, pole or packet of hooks. Maybe I have moved on to more sophisticated gifts (like wooden spoons and measuring cups), but last year, I did score one or two things.

I consider it a blessing, really. Most of the time, the fishing gifts that I receive are well-intended but essentially useless. Like a spray container of bass attractant. Um. As a relatively skilled bass fisher, I hope to my spiritual guide(s) that I don't need a spray bass attractant. It is this viscous, slimy, lime-green bottled substance that sprays out in a stream longer than Raid - you know, the can designed to reach the dark, cavernous crevices of your kitchen (well, my southern grandmother's kitchen). If your lure is not lined up exactly with it, well, just hope that your 6 year old nephew isn't standing nearby. Otherwise, he will attract bass - for a week. The note on the bottle states that once applied, it will stay on the lure for countless casts for up to 5 days. Makes me wonder what is in it and the potential pollutants..oh, never mind.

I'll be busy dreaming of spring when I can stand outside and cast freely. Meanwhile, I'm drumming my fingers waiting for that winter invite for some pike fishing through the ice. Upstate anyone?

No comments: