Saturday, October 13, 2007

What's in a Name?

I have to laugh. Yesterday, I was on the phone with one of my dearest friends in the entire world. Now a principal in Pasadena, CA, she still manages to see right through me. Amazing how your friends know you so well!

At any rate, she has a male friend whose last name is Trout. Now we went to college with a woman named Allison Trout. We sang together and I never felt the inclination to laugh at her name.

This gentleman's name is Lake Trout (how fishy is that)? Even more so - get this - you better go pee before you read this, now. His father's name is Brook Trout! Talk about 'swimming upstream' with the nomenclature! Couldn't their parents have 'cast' a little farther into the baby name list? I'm waiting with 'baited' breath for the name of his daughter....Rainbow Trout.

Now with a last name like mine, many ideas come to mind. Norman Bates. Kathy Bates. Master Bates. Bates a Hook. Whatever. But with a last name like Trout and first names like Brook and Lake, I don't feel so bad. When my principal pal told me this story, I swear, I just about pee-ed in my pants. I could NOT stop laughing. I haven't laughed like that in a long time - the belly laugh... The laugh that makes your gut hurt...

I'm thinking of other names. Brown Trout. Golden Trout. Gila Trout. Sea Trout. Something's fishy with this one!

1 comment:

Michele said...

Now how cool is that!! I'd love a name like Brook Trout...hehehe!