Friday, July 31, 2009

Lake Little Known-ah

...not for long! This little lake is an amazing find. I had heard about it through my friend Amy (who fishes there with her husband on a regular basis), but it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I actually experienced it for myself.

I drove to Lake Zoar in Southbury. As I remembered (as it was explained to me), Lake Lillinonah is at the top of Lake Zoar. All I had to do was listen for the jet skis and boats...and follow them north.

And I did. I found the trail guide and fishing advisory board right in a small parking lot. I found a more remote spot to park and I proceeded to this isolated lakeside spot...that was already usurped by two fellow fishers. (These guys became my instant friends as we shared our catches across the lake).

My first cast with a hula popper landed me a nice lake bass. It was not large, but it gave some nice tugs and a good little battle. I gently removed the hook and eased him back into the water with care. The next spinner lures rewarded me with two consecutive yellow perch.

I spent most of the day at Lake Lillinonah. I could have spent the evening, too, as we all know that fish love the cooler water temperatures. But duty called and I headed back to Milford, a far cry from my new found fishing hole.

Try it - Lake Little Known-ah (can you tell I love Maine?)

No comments: