Friday, February 1, 2008

Castaway on Coastal Oregon


Tonight, I find myself dreaming of a cross-country road trip. I want to take my Jeep, Gertrude, to fish Coastal Oregon for Chinook and Steelhead. Drive my Jeep onto the beach, make a fire, fish all day, relax, maybe cook my catch and just hang out catching fish for a few days.

Some would argue that this sounds like a man's daydream. Stereotypes aside, it is really the dream of anyone who loves to fish. Once it is in your soul, you don't let it go.

I could stop in Washington State and pick up some trout fishing and maybe even Idaho and hit a lake or two. I'm not sure what it is about this year of my life. It feels like everything is opening up right in front of me. This will truly be a year of exploration and adventure for me - I feel it.

I finally got the rod holders put onto the front of my Jeep. Correction. I finally got all of the necessary hardware to have it done. My goal is to have it on by the end of February so that I can drive it on the beach in Provincetown this spring. There is a fishing tournament there in March (more later on that event). Back to the west coast and travelling to it.

I have never driven across the country. I have lived in California, Arizona, Connecticut, Virginia, New York, and Washington, D.C. I have travelled to many states for business - but I have never driven across this country. Maybe I'll make it my 40th birthday expedition.

Ideally, I'd like to go in May. Months between March and June are the best months for Chinook (King) Salmon fishing. Some argue that the fall is good, too (which would probably work better for my schedule). It would also be a great time to travel since it wouldn't be as hot. I could camp out under the stars...or find some luxurious hotels along the way. Tonight, I'm feeling adventurous and rugged. When the time comes, I may fancy plush robes and sandalwood bubble baths. We'll see.

Look at these fish:
Steelhead
Chinook (King) Salmon

How great would it be to drive out there and fish? Talk about adventure. I could pick up a couple rounds of golf on the way, too! And here I was, wondering what I was going to do with my severance check - the Fishing Fund!

No comments: