Sunday, April 27, 2008

It Just Dawned on Me

I am slowly beginning to learn and understand that not everyone likes to fish. I guess I could have taken a clue last year when I set up this site when my hit counter was 5 and no one was commenting. I don't know a lot of people who revel in tatting, but I have one friend who does it. The point is that your hobbies tend to dictate some of who you are.

Over the years, I have consistently found that fishing grounds me - centers me. Even if I don't catch anything, just the action of casting, reeling, and being with nature can do wonders for the soul. The trickling of the water, the birds, the sunshine on my shoulders that makes me happy (OK, no more bad John Denver interludes).

I find it logical that my hobbies and interests include those types of activities that one can do alone. I am very good at being alone. I always have been. I enjoy people so much more now than I ever did before (not that I am a curmudgeon-like social recluse), but I still appreciate the morning hours - when over the horizon, orange hues rise to meet the darkness of the sky, which we call dawn.

1 comment:

Tom Sorenson said...

Good post - I hope you've not given up! I see this is back in April - I'm hoping you just have been too busy fishing!

Good point, though - I enjoy many things that I can do by myself -and enjoy the heck out of being in nature by myself. Really helps me get in tune with the big picture.